I am a bear in hibernation.

I've been ignoring you, blog. I'm sorry. I'll try to stop. It's not that I haven't had any blog worthy experiences, thoughts, or words. I have. I really have. Lots of them too. Like the Jon Schmidt concert I went to. And the seasons changing. And music. And books. And adventures. And WOTD. And questions. And learns. Believe me when I say this: It's not you, it's me.

I've learned a few things while I've avoided posting:
  1. College is hard.
  2. Working at a restaurant and going to school full-time... is hard.
  3. When you are doing numbers 1 and 2, it's not smart to sit at home and play music during your free time like you want to. (Unless, of course, music is your major. Which I have to admit... that sounds really good right now. Reallly good.)
  4. All these things will wear you out. And if you're not careful, you'll get sick.
  5. And tired.
  6. And you won't be able to sleep.
  7. And when you do sleep, you'll find it very hard to wake up.
  8. And you'll get sick.
My sisters cracked jokes the other day when I told them I might quit my job and take a job at a new bookstore that's opening next week. It was funny. Well, I took the job. Because the restaurant? Might just maybe possibly a little bit sorta be the cause of numbers 4-7. Maybe.

Okay, it totally is. And just the thought of a less stressful job is helping me come out of my cave. Because I've been hibernating. If you've seen me within the past couple weeks, I wasn't really conscious. I was sleep walking.

Concerning China:
  • Fuqing is indeed pronounced Fuching.
  • The ILP program is new to the school at which I will be teaching. Which means that I'm the first impression. And most likely, these kids don't know a lick of English. Exciting! Daunting!
  • I'm not excited for the medical forms I need to fill out.
  • I want your opinion on something, dear blog. They say that the teachers in the program get a lot of downtime. One girl said that when she went to China, she read 17 books. SEVENTEEN. That makes me drool. But I have a problem, I wont have room in my luggage to pack SEVENTEEN books. Plus, what if I don't get to all SEVENTEEN? What if I finish all of them and get bored? So, I'm looking into electronic book readers. I also think that this would be cheaper than buying every book I want to read and bringing it with me. I like this one and this one. I'm going to try to get a deal on eBay, so let me know what you think! Also, if you know of any other models that are good, I'm interested.
I promise to not be gone so long this time.

8 comments:

Erika said...

About the readers...the only thing I would worry about is charging them while in China. The adapter I have says to not use it to charge a device. And to only use for short-term use. Maybe they have other adapters or even other chargers that will work in China. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

i have the sony reader and love it. it is simple like an ipod..
it charges thru my computer.. i hear the kindle is a little fancier and does more things...but i love my sony :)
they have them at borders you can play with or you can come to my house and play with mine :)

Anonymous said...

ps...
your mom will be so jealous :)

Me, Myself, and I said...

My sister travels all over the place, so I had to research this for her.

As far as charging things in other countries ... you need to get a converter, not just an adapter. A converter changes the current / voltage to the correct levels, while an adapter just changes the plug. If you have a converter, you can use or charge devices for long periods of time.

You'd probably be good with this one. You will also need one of these, but do NOT use it without the converter.

L said...

Congrats on CHINA!!! That is so so SO exciting! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Is that the same bookstore your mom will be working at? That would be so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Meggie: I love you. Here is my suggestion. DO NOT BUY A READER, DO NOT TAKE BOOKS. Take the information with a grain of salt and look at it from a different angle. Someone has told you that there will be alot of downtime. PERFECT. because you are you and love books, take one. choose your favorite. BUT only read it when you miss home so it will bring back memories from when you've read it before.

The reason i say don't get a reader or take 17 books is because you will in fact be living in China. Only a short train ride away a major city. When will you have a chance to be in a new place with your whole life ahead of you. I would try to force myself, or you :), into not reading unless you're needing home. Take advantage of how exciting it will be and don't waste one single minute. Get to know the other teachers, the students, and everything about their culture.

One thing i regret from my trip to another country is that i made up excuses, that i thought were valid, to stay inside the hotel more often then i should. You are 18 and a grown woman now. Go on your trip with open eyes and an open mind. See everything, make crazy memories, try things you wouldn't normally try.

*end of my novel comment. :)

love you meggie!

Karlene said...

I agree with Mel--see all you can. But there comes a point in every day when you need to go to sleep and a book is a good way to calm your mind down. So, I vote KINDLE.

Jeff Hylands said...

Thanks to share

Copyright @ Megan | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger | Distributed by Deluxe Templates