The whining I warned you about

I think the word "heal" really means to do absolutely nothing and watch while everyone else follows their dreams.

Since I decided to stay home from China, I have been doing better than I expected. Pretty great actually. My family is so supportive and patient through all this. My friends are fantastic. And this guy who randomly popped into my life has done wonders for my mood. Haze all you want, he's becoming my best friend.

Today it hit me. I'm not going to China in February. I'm not going to school either. I'm just here. I work about twice a week. And the rest of the time I'm contemplating what I'm going to do with my life. And not just for the spring semester. What am I going to do with my LIFE? If I do decide to go back to school, what on earth am I going to study? Because school seems really pointless if I don't have a goal. An end result as motivation. A class that I actually enjoy.

I'm not only completely in the dark about my future; I'm pissed.

Because I was going to teach children in China. I can't express how badly I wanted to do that. I was going to teach them and fall in love with them. I was going to miss home, yes, but I was going to follow my dreams.

I was going to cry when I left to come back home because of all the wonderful discoveries, friends, and memories I had made. I was going to cherish my semester in China for the rest of my life. I was going to tell everyone about the people I met and the things I learned about the world and myself.

I was going to tell my children about it. And maybe I would have sparked a sense of adventure in them as well. And they would think, "Wow. I can't believe Mom really did all of that. She's so cool. I want to be like her someday. I want to travel the world too. I bet she'd even come with me if I asked her." Future children, I would. I so would! In a heartbeat, I would be on a plane with you wherever you wanted to go. You would lead the way and we would discover this beautiful world together. On your terms. In your own way.

I was going to go to China. I was going to submerge myself in a new everything. I was going to teach those kids. And play with them. Laugh with them. Sing songs with them. Learn from them.

I was going to stand on The Great Wall of China. I was going to stand there, stretch my arms out, close my eyes, and remember that moment when I was 9 and I learned about The Great Wall in school and I thought to myself, "I want to go there. I want to go there so badly." I was going to remember that moment when China felt so out of reach. That moment when I was small and the world was big and there was no way I could find a way to get there. Not in a million years. I would remember that moment and think, "The world is big. I am small. But I can do big things anyways."

I was going to check something off my life list.

I was going to be the girl who actually followed her dreams. The girl who didn't just talk about traveling the world and learning new things everyday, but actually did it.

I was going to do all those things and more. And now (pardon the pessimism) I'm living at home in Happy Valley with crushed dreams and nothing to do while watching all my friends go to school to follow their own dreams. Why? Because I'm healing. From mono and TMJ. Seriously? Mono and TMJ? That stopped me? It really ticks me off that this is what's stopping me from following my dreams. It hardly sounds like something that would stop someone who has dreams this big.

The funny part? Even after laying out all my unattainable dreams in the open, I don't regret dreaming big. Not even a little bit. Not even at all. Not even for a moment.

Ask me why. Go on, ask.

Because I still believe that dreams come true. I'm still going to follow mine. I believe that this setback, this challenge of great interest, is going to make living my dream that much sweeter. I believe there is a reason for everything. A reason for all of this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Follow your ultimate dream of becoming a teacher, good mother and exploring new things. Like you said everything happens for a reason. Maybe this is your opportunity to change your life completely.

wapotter.param.mobi {mobile web}

Beka said...

megan! hang in there! you should still definitely go to China when you get better! I'm so sorry you are sick! That is a bummer. I think China would be an amazing experience and if you want to do it you still should! Hope you get happier :)

Karlene said...

I don't think China is going to fall into the ocean or be swallowed up by an earthquake. It will still be there in September. When you're fully healed.

McKenna Gordon said...

Meg. Your life is large. Mono and TMJ are like 5 minutes compared to your very large life. You have more than one dream, and your life is bigger than China. So while you're mono'd out, check another dream off your list. I'm SURE at least a few of your dreams don't involve travel, or even leaving the house, necessarily. Don't let Mono and TMJ be excuses for not reaching out there and grabbing your dreams. All they did was delay ONE of your dreams.

Remember also that dreams can change. Your dream of China might not be China at all. "China" may be your proverb for exploring culture. For opening your eyes. For seeing the world through someone else's lens. You can still have that "China" here.

You're more powerful than you think. You can change a corner of the world. And you can do it from whatever place you're standing at any given time in your life. Right now that's here. Don't wait to experience your dreams, just choose another one.

You might see China for the first time when you're 50. But you'll see China. And Greece.

Bill Starr, CEO, My Life List said...

Megan,
I believe in dreams, thats why I launched My Life List! Check out www.mylifelist.org for our great new website that uses a proven methodology and the power of social networking to help people achieve their goals!!

Hang in their and get well, all great adventures have challenges, that's what makes them great!! Would love it if you became a member and shared some of your Life List goals and stories!!

CREATE. ACT. CELEBRATE.™
Bill Starr
CEO, My Life List™
http://twitter.com/mylifelist

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you don't get to follow this dream Megan. But like you said, there could be a very good reason for it. Just look at it as a delay. You'll get where you really want to be in time.

Copyright @ Megan | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger | Distributed by Deluxe Templates